Sarcoma Foundation of America's Legacy Society
Until there's a cure for sarcoma, we will be there advocating for patients and their families.
The Sarcoma Foundation of America's Legacy Society recognizes those individuals who have remembered the Sarcoma Foundation of America through their estate plans.
Through the generosity of Legacy Society members, we continue to fund basic and transnational research in sarcoma and its treatments. We are indebted for each commitment to their ongoing pursuit.
Our history began in 1998 with the parents of gregarious 3-year-old Jeffrey Thornton received the devastating news of sarcoma. His parents, Mark and Patricia Thornton, sought answers. Not finding an organization dedicated to this type of cancer led to the creation of the Sarcoma Foundation of America in 2000.
Together with sarcoma physician John Brooks, MD, they formed the patient advocacy organization dedicated to sarcoma patients and their families. Our mission remains steadfast. We work to advocate for sarcoma patients by funding research and by increasing awareness about the disease. The supporters of the Sarcoma Foundation of America privately fund grants for sarcoma researchers and conducts education and advocacy efforts on behalf of sarcoma patients.
Today, our vision remains constant-working towards a cure for sarcoma.
The Sarcoma Foundation of America funds high risk, high reward projects that would not likely be funded by the government or pharmaceutical companies. SFA supported research has led to:
- The identification of novel druggable targets for not only sarcoma, but for many more common cancers
- The discovery of a new class of cancer inhibitors
- The creation of mouse models for multiple sarcoma subtypes
- Development of state of the art proteomic approaches
- Multiple gains in gene expression profiling
- Millions of dollars of additional grants based on research findings from SFA research projects
Over $7 million in research grants have been awarded because of donors like you.
Your gifts have enabled us to do so much for sarcoma advocacy and research. Your final gift will help us determine our future. This vision for a world free of sarcoma can become a reality for generations to come.
As a charter member of the Sarcoma Foundation of America Legacy Society, you lead the way with other special individuals to make a lasting imprint on our work. Your generous support will enable the research to continue to unravel the puzzle of sarcoma. It supports patients and their families through education to be better informed advocates in the care and treatment of sarcoma. It helps ensure community events continue like the Race to Cure Sarcoma race series continue to not only bring greater awareness for this rare cancer but a supportive gathering event for patients, survivors and their friends and families.
These are just a few ways that your gifts make a difference.
As a Charter Member of the Sarcoma Foundation of America Legacy Society member, you will:
- Know that your gift today will help those individuals and families facing a sarcoma journey.
- Be recognized as a charter member of the Legacy Society.
- Invitations to the Sarcoma Foundation of America events in your region.
- Receive special updates on the work of the Sarcoma Foundation of America in our advocacy and research efforts.
There are many ways you can join the Sarcoma Foundation of America Legacy Society:
- Remember us in your will with a charitable bequest
- Designate the Sarcoma Foundation of America as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy.
- Include the Sarcoma Foundation of America as a beneficiary of your retirement plan.
- Create a charitable trust providing for you and your loved ones with assets transferred to us later.